Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finally, I got some things done!

Well I started a lot of crafts and had big ideas at the beginning of the summer. But then I guess got excited and busy with our trips and wanted to focus on them instead of crafting.
Now I'm back and super excited about what I made this week........and a few things I did awhile ago but never shared.

My super duper cute (and kinda huge) memory board!


I knew if I wanted to make these, I would have to start finding some big, cool, chunky frames. I told my Grandma to start looking for some at her local "junk store" in the country and she found me this great one! It was brown and really dinged up which was perfect! I spray-painted it heirloom white to get going.



For the actual memory board, I had to find some super cute material so I went to Etsy and found Poppy Seed Fabrics. So many great things there!
I also grabbed some ivory ribbon then foam board at Hobby Lobby since the frame no longer had a back...... and some quilt batting from Grandma for that fluffy look! I used a staple gun to get it all attached in the back but I'm thinking a regular stapler would do. The ribbon has to be really, really tight.
I also learned a great trick for those button looking things you see on memory boards. In the scrapbooking section they have all those decorative brads that are perfect for this! They stuck right through the material, foam board and batting and they really gave it a cute look!
Here they are:


Here's the board before the cute little brads out of the frame:


Here's a close up after I stuck the brads in, they give it that cushiony look, aren't they cute!


And here it is on my new blue wall! I absolutely love it! I don't even want to put pictures on it because it will cover it up :)


Here's the one I started right after for the study because I was so excited. This was an old brown frame my mom had that I painted red (or Crimson since its for the OU room :). I found the material on sale for cheap at Hobby Lobby and voila!:

I just need to go back and get some black ribbon and more of the cute little brads and I can get it up on the newly painted walls in the study!
By the way, here's what I did on one of the other walls: (I didn't end up doing the picture collage in the living room so I went for one in here instead.)


The other thing I did this week for the first time was scrapbooking! I'm not sure I could do this all the time but it'll be kinda fun to throw together a page every now and then. I made one for my "babies" first:


Then I made one from some of our Mexico trip pics:

I guess there's no rules on this stuff so I just did whatever I wanted and made it busy and fun! Looking forward to doing a couple pages from our Chicago trip.

I've also been slowly working on my jewelry organizer frames all summer but they're still not finished because they didn't quite turn out like I planned. I found these on major sale at Target a while back and got them because I liked the shape of the frames and knew I could paint them and knock out the inside.

I used the heirloom white spraypaint again and tried my hardest to get the wire to stretch straight across but as you can see compared to the "inspiration pic", they look like crap :)

(

So I've decided I'm gonna take the other route and find some material to put in the frame and just use stick pins to organize the jewelry like this:


Yay, I feel accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny! I think all of your creations are Great! I'm sure you will have a ton more ideas with new inspirations over the next few months! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your memory boards! And I like the jewelry frame! Just needs more jewelry on it! :) Good job friend!

    ReplyDelete